Friday, December 6, 2013

Kiln Review - Tabletop Furnace Company


Recently I bought a new little kiln and wanted to do a review of it for you guys.  I was in the market for a lighter, travel-friendly kiln that I could take on the road with me.  I had been carting around my 50 lb. Evenheat kiln and it was not being back-friendly!  In searching the internet for alternatives, I came across a company called Tabletop Furnace Company.  I am always a bit wary of companies that I have never heard of but in reading the description of the kiln, I was intrigued.  The website boasts a kiln weight of 11 lbs and a firing speed of 8 minutes to 2200 degrees!  Wow!  Could this be true?!  So I made a couple of phone calls to Ken of TFC and talked it over.  I just had to try this baby out!  So I ordered it in Stoplight Red (it is available in 10 different colors).  You have to keep in mind when ordering something like this that it is actually being made just for you.  Before I ordered I had checked his feedback on EBay and although he did have negatives, they were all in regard to shipping time.   He doesn't have boxes and boxes of them sitting around ready to go.  That is not uncommon in the kiln world, so you need to exercise patience!  It took about a month for it to be built and to arrive.  It came in a small, lightweight box and I was in love immediately!  The inside chamber (you can see all the measurements on the website link), is rather small.  If you do large works, this will not be the kiln for you.  But if you tend to work small (as I do), I can fit about 3 pendants onto the shelf. (I have placed one pendant inside for scale).  As you can see, I need to order another shelf and I could easily fit about 6 pendants inside (depending on the size, of course).
I spent several weeks testing the kiln at various speeds, ramping up and down and seeing how it worked.  I will say this:  the instruction page regarding the electronic controller is terrible.  It is factory-written, in a very scientific way, making it difficult to understand how to set the times to what I needed it to do.  I had to call Ken multiple times to try to understand it.  Ken does tell me he is in the process of writing a manual that will be easier to understand.   Finally, I had to look at the firing schedule that the instructions had had me set up for the burn-out fire (a first firing to break the kiln in).  Using those parameters, I was finally able to set it to a firing schedule that could work for me.  I then did several test fires at differing ramp speeds (this means how quickly the kiln is going to the temps that you need, in case you aren't familiar) and finally found the perfect firing schedule for me.  It cools down extremely fast, too.  I love that the controller shows the inside temp so I can tell when it is ok to crack it and speed up the cooling.  I can do a complete underglaze fire in about 30 minutes, cool down for about 15 minutes and have it open within an hour!   Below:  notes, test tiles, more notes, more notes and the dreaded controller instructions!  LOL
So now that I have it firing correctly here is my overall analysis:  this is a wonderful little addition to my kiln family.  I will be carrying it with me when I work at the cabin and when I travel.  If you are considering this kiln as a "first kiln" though, I don't think it would be the best choice because of the size.  I am using it in conjunction with 2 larger kilns because even though I work small, I do large kiln loads, sometimes as many as 30 pieces at a time.  Here in my studio, I am using it to do my underglazing.  I can fire 2-3 pieces while I am working on others, thus keeping the process going.  That being said, if you are a metal clay artist, enamel artist or working extremely small, it would be a great kiln for you.  I also love that it plugs right into any wall socket, no special wiring needed.  Do keep in mind that the top firing temp is 2200, so if you are working in high fire, it is not capable of the temps.  So, thank you, Ken for building me a spectacular baby kiln.  Good job and I wish you much success!

One final thing:  everyone has asked about my shoes and socks!  LOL  The shoes are Baretraps from last winter, the socks are several years old and I don't remember where I got them!

22 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so cool and looks like so much fun. Ah, so many toys, so little time! I could get addicted to that kiln.
Also, congrats on the article in Sew Somerset. Love it!

Sunny Carvalho said...

Thank you so much, Ruth!!

Heating Ontario said...

Furnace service is something that everyone will need many times in their lives to ensure that their furnace is working properly. There are many reasons why it is smart to hire a professional service, instead of trying to do it yourself.

Furnace Service Toronto

Sunny Carvalho said...

Heating Ontario...if you had actually read the post, you would have noticed that it's not about furnaces...it's about a ceramic kiln and as Forrest Gump said, "that's all I got to say about that".

Unknown said...

Just wondering how this little kiln is holding up for you. Still loving it? And will you provide your notes upon request? ;-)
-Jill

Sunny Carvalho said...

Hi, Jill! My notes are nothing more than temperatures, but I will be happy to tell them to you if you end up getting one of these little kilns. I do still like it. I will take it on a trip soon and see how it does with no support from my larger kiln. I just haven't had the opportunity yet!

Memorial Pets said...

Nice Blog.

Online Pet Tribute said...

That's was very interesting. Even i would like to try out something in coming future. Thanks for sharing such informative post with us.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I just bought one and I'm really excited about it. I plugged it in, flipped on the on switch, programmed it for the first firing following the directions for the first quick start firing, and hit set. Nothing happened. I double checked the programmed information. But still nothing happened. It didn't get hot. Did I miss something. Thanks in advance.

Sunny Carvalho said...

I don't know! It took me a while to figure out the programming. If you go through all the steps again and can't get it firing, you will need to call the company and talk to them about it. I just reviewed the kiln that I had purchased, I don't actually have anything to do with the kiln company. Good luck!

Cheryl said...

I just bought one of these kilns, just unpacked it and manual says to plug both cords in n that one goes to the fan, there is only the one white cord on this. we see no other place to attach a cord really cant just plug it in to see if fan works as I still have to learn how to properly use this. my first ever experience with a kiln. I tried to do the online chat with the company...no one ever came on still says we will be with you shortly. hours ago.
I keep trying their phone number even though it says its disconnected. I emailed them. so frustrating. did yours have just one cord in the back to plug in? I am wondering if it is just spose to have one cord now?

shane watson said...

useful information on topics that plenty are interested on for this wonderful post.Admiring the time and effort you put into your b!.. http://www.acs-advancedcooling.com/

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

A debt of gratitude is in order for imparting pleasant data to us. i like your post and all you impart to us is uptodate and very useful, i might want to bookmark the page so i can come here again to peruse you, as you have made a superb showing. hinesville air duct cleaning

cosmopolitanmechanical said...

guys furnace service and installation are very important to every household in every season thanks for sharing these ideas.
Heating and Cooling Oakville

Unknown said...

If you have more specific service-related questions, please contact us. We’d love to hear from you.
Heating and Cooling Toronto

Unknown said...

Wow what a Great Information about World Day its very nice informative post. thanks for the post
Heating and Cooling mississauga

James said...

I thought this was a pretty interesting read when it comes to this topic. Thank you
Sparkle Pro Crack
Buildbox Crack

Winter Sale Jackets said...

Congratulations to the entire team for updating such great content and website. Winter Sale Jackets